These are the small group notes for part four of this series. On October 22, 2017 Pastor Daniel preached this message. You can download the notes in PDF format or you can follow along below.
Small Groups Notes
Pray. What’s the hardest thing about being a Christian for you? What’s the best part of being a Christian?
- What are some of our essential doctrines in the church? How can we hold firmly to sound biblical doctrine without falling into the error of spiritual pride and elitism (Ephesians 4:1-3)?
- What are the non-essential issues that Paul wrote about in Romans 14? How are we to handle similar contentions?
- Why are many North American churches generally failing to reach their neighbours with the gospel?
- We can too easily preach salvation by grace alone, yet model salvation by works. In what ways have you seen this happen?
- What might be contemporary equivalents of the accusation that Jesus was “a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners” (Matthew 11:19)?
- What were some hoops you felt you had to jump through to be part of a church? Which of these reflected the gospel and which reflected the church’s sub-culture expectations?
- Have you felt the tension of love (rubber band example) between holding on to the truth and at the same time extending grace? If so, how is God helping you with this?
Pray that our church family will ever persevere in the tension of love that comes from holding to the truth while extending grace. May God save and add many more to our family of faith.