These are the small group notes for part two of this series. On October 8, 2017 Pastor Daniel preached this message. You can download the notes in PDF format or you can follow along below.
Small Groups Notes
Pray then ask: What are you most thankful for today?
- Why do you think people get nervous when the pastor talks
- about money and giving?
- When Paul says that Christ "became poor" for our sakes (2 Cor. 8:9), what do you think he means? Read 2 Cor. 9:6-15. How do you feel about the methods Paul used to motivate the Corinthians to participate in the collection for famine relief?
- What is the biggest hindrance to generous giving among Christians? In your own life? Agree or disagree: In most cases, not giving at least the biblical guideline of 10% reflects a lack of gospel understanding?
- Should we give out of obedience even if we don’t feel like it? Isn’t that legalism? What kind of giving most pleases God (v. 7)?
- Is it wrong for a Christian to be financially successful? Why or why not? How can we know where to draw the line on material possessions and wealth? At what point do we violate Jesus’ command not to lay up treasures on earth (Matt. 6:19-21)?
- According to vv. 8 and 11, why is God generous toward us? How does our generosity bring glory to God?
- How do you feel about Malachi 3:8-10? How will you put into practice what Paul says in chapters 8-9 of 2 Corinthians?
Pray that our church family will grow in radical generosity that generates goodness toward others, glory to God, and great gratitude in our hearts.