"... he raised up David to be their king, of whom he testified and said, ‘I have found in David the son of Jesse a man after my heart, who will do all my will." - Acts 13:22 The story of David is a story of a man who's life is an example in many ways of how to follow God well.
These are the small group notes for part four of this series. On February 12, 2017 Pastor Daniel preached this message from 1 Samuel 5:1-5; 2 Samuel 6:1-15. You can download the notes in PDF format or you can follow along below.
Small Group Notes
Pray that God will bless your time of fellowship in his Word.
Read the following passages: 1 Samuel 5:1-5; 2 Samuel 6:1-15
- In 1 Chronicles 13:1 David consulted with his leaders about bringing the ark to Jerusalem, but there is no mention of his consulting the Lord. Share about a time that you learned that it’s best to pray and consult God’s Word first before taking action.
- Why did David want to bring the ark to Jerusalem? How important to you is having the holy presence of God in your life? (Consider Habakkuk 1:13a; Matthew 5:8; 1 Peter 1:15).
- What were some of the things that caused great fear in the hearts of the Philistines, and the Israelites, regarding the ark? (1 Samuel 4, 5, 6)
- How was the ark brought up when David first went to get it? What happened along the way? Why was God angry? How did David react? Why did God allow this to happen? What are some ways that God has gotten your attention? When David looked at God’s holiness, as seen in the ark, what huge gap or chasm did he see between him and God?
- What provision did David make for sacrifice to accompany the ark on his second attempt to bring it to Jerusalem? What did this have to do with the mercy seat on the ark? Read Hebrews 9. Discuss how Christ fulfills the need for an atoning sacrifice so that we might truly experience the holiness of God in our lives.
Pray that all in your group so experience the holiness of God through Christ that it makes them want to dance like David.