In the Words of a War Prayer series, Pastor Daniel will take us verse by verse through The Lord's Prayer in Matthew 6:9-13. These famous words are the model Jesus set for us to pray. During this series our small groups will be studying through Jesus' prayer. This week's message is called “Evil that Makes You Battle Tested” and is all about Matthew 6:13 - "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil."
Small Group Notes
Pray that God will bless your time of fellowship in his Word.
- Finish this sentence: “If I had $1 million, one thing I’d do is....”
- Why do people often blame God for their troubles? Why do we sometimes think he did promise us a trouble-free life? What does the fact that we are to daily pray for spiritual protection tell us about our lives?
- What is God’s purpose in allowing temptation to test us? What determines whether temptation and evil circumstances make or break us? To prepare Christians to battle against Satan, which of his tactics would you warn them about?
- What are some biblical examples of God testing his people? Share, if you’re comfortable to do so, any personal experiences of God’s testing in your life and how you made out.
- What does James say is the cause of temptation (Jas 1:13– 14)? What kinds of desires lurk within each of us that entice us to give into temptation? How can this sixth petition of the Lord’s Prayer help us to combat this?
- Read 1 Corinthians 10:6–13. What promise does God provide when we are tempted? How does this promise give us a better understanding of why we pray this petition?
- Read Hebrews 2:17–18 and 4:15–16. What hope do these passages give you as you face temptations in your life?
Remember to close in prayer for one another and for our church family as we together study this important matter of prayer.