This week during our Revelation to the 7even series we are studying Jesus' words to the church in Sardis from Revelation 3:1-6. You can see the notes below or download them here.
- If you had the last several days to do over again what would you do differently?
- Read together Rev. 3:1-6. Do you think the Sardis Church would have been surprised by these words of Christ? Explain.
- Are there areas in your walk with Jesus that have become mechanical and routine? Do you agree that there is a constant danger of drifting into spiritual sleepiness? If so, why do you think this is, and what do you do to counter it?
- What five imperatives (action steps) does Jesus counsel the Sardis Church to take in order to make a concerted change? If you find yourself spiritually asleep how does a passage like Psalm 139:23-24 help? How does remembering the gospel of Jesus Christ keep us spiritually awake and vibrant?
- A strong warning came with Jesus’ counsel in the latter part of v. 3 if they did not take action. In what historical way would this have resonated with the Sardinians, and how do you feel about this warning?
- What are the three covenant promises Jesus gives to console his conquerors (vv. 4-5)? Does one speak to you more than the others, if so, which one and why?
Close in prayer for one another. Ask forgiveness for the areas of our lives that do not reflect the truth of the gospel. Pray that the Holy Spirit would give us a healthy, growing appetite for God.