During this final week of our Revelation to the 7even series we are studying Jesus' words to the church in Laodicea from Revelation 3:14-22. You can see the notes below or download them here.
- Share about a time you felt especially close to God. Read Revelation 3:14-22.
- Why does God prefer that we are either “cold or hot” (3:15)? We might understand hot, but why would God want “cold?”
- How distasteful is lukewarmness to God (3:16)? Would Jesus say you are hot, cold or lukewarm in the practice of your faith and works? Why do people and churches sometimes become lukewarm? How can lukewarmness be avoided?
- Why does Jesus counsel believers to “buy gold refined by fire” and “white garments” from him (3:18)? What might be the purpose of “eye salve” (2 Cor 4:4; 2 Peter 1:9; 1 John 2:11)?
- How does God treat those he loves (3:19; Heb 12:5-6)? Can you give an example of God’s loving discipline in your life? What does it look like to be “zealous and repent” (3:19b)?
- How is 3:20 a remedy for being lukewarm? How can we encourage one another to walk closely with Jesus?
- Reflect on Jesus’ words to the Seven Churches that we have studied these last eight weeks. What are the essential qualities of a church that truly pleases God? Please have your group leader email your observations to email@example.com.
Thank Jesus for his loving discipline and grace. Pray that each of us, and our church family, would ever reflect a deep love and passion for Jesus in all we do.