The story of the New Minas United Baptist Church begins with the story of the Horton (Wolfville) Church. In 1765, Ebenezer Moulton, a Baptist pastor from Massachusetts, began to preach in the area and on October 29, 1778, the Horton Baptist Church came into being.
In 1856, the residents of Canaan, New Minas and Beech Hill, requested dismissal from that church to form the Third Horton Baptist church. The first church building in New Minas, erected by dedicated volunteers, was located next to the present day Ultramar service station.
In 1958 a motion was made to separate from the Canaan church and be called the New Minas United Baptist Church. It continued to share a pastor with Canaan and Port Williams. In 1963, an addition to the church building was completed, containing a large hall for church dinners and youth activities, ten classrooms, and a modern kitchen. On June 9, 1968, the final service was held in the old wood frame structure, and on October 13, 1968, the cornerstone was laid for a new brick building to be built on the same location. A dedication service was held for the new building on October 20, 1968.
In the spring of 1981 the church purchased the 4 1/2 acre Ryan property, across from the Ken-Wo Golf Club, as a site for a new church building. On June 3, 1984 a special sod turning ceremony was held on that site and construction began in July on what is now the present sanctuary building. The final service in the old church at 1114 Commercial Street was held on Good Friday, March 28, 1986. On Sunday June 1st, 1986, the dedication for the new sanctuary was held. Construction for the addition of a C.E. wing to the church building began in July 1986 and was completed and dedicated on June 7, 1987. This wing was named “The Merrill Fellowship Centre” and provided 10 classrooms, a gymnasium and a kitchen .
In March 2004, construction began on a 25’ x 85’ expansion added to the north side of the church. It was completed on August 12, 2004 and provided a large meeting room, a classroom, a storage room and a large nursery.
On February 19, 2008, another sod-turning ceremony was held for the construction of a 142’ x 90’ expansion to the east side of the church facility which provided a large multi purpose room, 7 offices and 11 classrooms. This was completed in October 2008 and a Grand Opening was held the week-end of November 9, 2008.
A large white house located on the church property was demolished on March 22, 2010. This house had been used by the church for over 25 years as a parsonage, as Sunday School classrooms and youth ministries, as well as house the Atlantic Baptist offices, the Clothing Depot, the Treasure House Soup Kitchen and the Fundy Interchurch Food Bank.